Datelicious, indulgent and no added sugar! This is one recipe that is perfect for the up and coming festive season snacking.
Our Beloved Date paste replaces any refined sugars. Dried apricots, glance cherries, figs and sultanas has been replaced with chopped dates and apples.
All the sweetness from the loaf comes from the fruits used in the recipe.
225g Strong white flour
7g Fast action dried yeast
25g Date Paste (replaces 25g sugar)
75ml Warm milk
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
½ tsp Ground ginger
½ tsp Salt
70g Chopped Dates
50g Chopped Apple
- In a saucepan, heat the date paste on a gently heat to soften. Add the milk and heat the date paste and milk mixture until it reaches lukewarm temperature.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, dried yeast, ground ginger and cinnamon and salt. Separate salt away from yeast. Make a well in the centre and pour in the lukewarm milk with date paste, the beaten egg, dried fruits and the melted butter. If the dough is too dry, add a little warm water; if it’s too wet, add more flour.
- Using the dough hook, knead until the dough becomes smooth and springy, around 10 minutes. Transfer to a clean, lightly greased bowl and cover loosely with a clean, damp tea towel. Leave in a warm place to rise until roughly doubled in size – this will take about 1 hr depending on how warm the room is.
- Knock the dough back by kneading for a few seconds and divide the mixture into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, and shape into a bun shape. Place the dough onto an oiled baking parchment. Cover the buns with a damp tea towel and leave to prove in a warm pace for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 160°C fan/ 325ºF/ Gas mark 4.
- Brush each bun with milk and bake them in an oven for 20 mins. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Looking for something bespoke? Contact us and our team will be happy to create a perfect match for you.