Our fruit cake has been crafted by our food technology team and this recipe can be classed as ‘no added sugar’. All the sweetness is coming from the fruits used in the recipe. The date paste acts as a base for the cake and is used in place of sugar during the creaming stage to provide a light texture for the cake. Nothing better than having a piece with a warm cuppa at tea time! Mmmm…Datelicious!
125g Self-raising flour
80g Unsalted butter
100g Date paste
70g Chopped dates
One orange, plus zest
50g Grated apples
15g Flaked almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/325°F/Gas 3). Grease a 20cm (8in) springform or deep, loose-bottomed round cake tin. Line the base and sides of the tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and date paste until lighter and smooth.
- Gradually add the egg to the mixture and beat until well combined.
- Gently fold in the flour, baking powder, spices, orange juice, grated apples, and dried fruit until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top of the cake.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until the skewer comes out clean.
Looking for something bespoke? Contact us and our team will be happy to create a perfect match for you.