An easy and absolutely delicious Pecan and Date Tart created by our research and development team. Using our smooth, soft date paste and Golden Date Juice Concentrate create the perfect tart. This recipe has less sugar and more fibre than a traditional recipe, but it tastes just as good!
200g plain flour
Water to bind
200g Date Paste
300g pecan nut halves
½ tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 200oC / 400 oF / Gas 6
- To make the pastry, blend the flour and butter to a fine crumb. Add the egg and vanilla extract and enough water to make a smooth dough. Leave to relax for approx. 20 minutes
- Roll out the pastry and line a tart mould. Leave to rest again.
- Prick the dough with a fork several times and add baking parchment and baking beans. Bake blind for 10 to 15 minutes to set the sides.
- Remove from the oven and remove the parchment and baking beans. Return to the over for a further 10 to 15 minutes until the base is dry. Leave to cool slightly.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 160oC / 325 oF / Gas 3.
- To make the filling, beat together the date paste and butter until soft and lighter in colour. Slowly beat in the date juice concentrate. Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla. Fold in about 2/3rds of the pecan nuts, reserving the best for decoration. Pour into the pastry case, decorate with the remaining pecan nuts and bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The pie should be golden brown but will wobble a bit in the centre when shaken.
- Leave to cool in the tin. Serve with cream
Interested in our ingredients? Register as a customer and order online