With over 30% reduction in sugar in this recipe compared to a standard recipe. The golden date juice concentrate is the true hero here! It replaces some of the sugar in the sponge for a reduced sugar recipe. We have also paired it with our datelicious strawberry compote and custard filling in place of sugar.
50g caster sugar
25gGolden date juice concentrate
100g self raising flour
35gGolden date juice concentrate
Strawberry flavour (optional)
15gGolden date juice concentrate
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
Whipped cream to top
1. Grease and line a swiss roll tin and pre-heat the oven to 180 o C / 360 o F/ Gas mark 4.
2. First make the sponge. Cream together the butter sugar and golden date juice
concentrate until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually add the beaten eggs mixing continuously
4. Fold in the flour and add milk to a soft dropping consistency
5. Fill the prepared tin and smooth the top.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to
cool on a wire rack.
7. Make the strawberry compote. Halve the strawberries and place 250g into a sauce pan with
the water and date juice concentrate. Reserve the remaining halved strawberries
for decoration. Bring to the boil and cook until slightly thickened. Stir in a few drops of
strawberry flavour if required. Leave to cool.
8. Make the custard. Pour the milk and cream into a pan and add vanilla essence. Bring the milk
mixture to the boil, then remove from the heat.
9. Whisk the date juice concentrate, egg yolks and cornflour together in a large bowl. Pour out a
little of the hot milk onto the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Whisk in the rest of the hot milk
until well-combined, then return to the pan.
10. Cook the mixture over a gentle heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture becomes thick. It
will just come to the boil.
11. Remove from the heat and pass the mixture through a sieve into a clean bowl. Leave to cool
12. Make the trifle by slicing the sponge to fit the base of the trifle dish. Layer with strawberry
compote and strawberries and custard.
13. Top with whipped cream