This light recipe will satisfy any sweet tooth. By substituting refined sugar for Date Nectar you’ll avoid the normal post-cake-sugar-slump, making it the perfect afternoon treat!
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed pitted & chopped dates
- 1/2 small cup of date nectar instead of sugar
- 5 tbsp vegan all-natural butter spread (this can be swapped for almond butter or unsalted regular butter depending on your preference)
- 5 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 5 tsp coffee extract
- 100ml of Greek Yoghurt & 2 tsp of Beloved date nectar
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and grease a 9-in square cake pan with coconut oil and dust with flour.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Bring 2 cups water to the boil in a medium saucepan, keeping covered. Add the chopped dates and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, add the baking soda, and stir (the mixture will appear fizzy and and bubble up a bit). Stir well to combine together. Leave this date mixture to sit for 20 minutes, uncovered. (The baking soda breaks down the fibre of the dates.)
- Using an electric mixer, cream the all-natural buttery spread and date nectar together in a large bowl, until well combined and fluffy. In a small bowl, whip the flaxseeds with 1/3 cup water using a small whisk, until frothy. The mixture should resemble egg whites in texture. Add the whipped flaxseeds to the date nectar mixture and mix on medium speed until well blended. Add the coffee extract to the mix and stir to combine.
- Add the date mixture and flour mixture together, alternating bits at a time (starting with the date mix). Mix these well but gently, until all ingredients are incorporated. Careful not to overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the centre of the cake – it should come out clean when ready. Leave to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into squares.
- Mix together 100ml natural yoghurt (0% fat and no added sugar) with 2 tsp date nectar and drizzle ontop. Serve warm for a delicious treat.